Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Next meeting Friday March 26th 2010, 7-9 pm - Amy Scholder, editorial director of the Feminist Press


A warm welcome to the next NPBIAC gathering, Friday, March 26th, 7-9 pm. We are proud to have Amy Scholder, editorial director of the Feminist Press as host for this meeting.

Amy Scholder writes:
I would like to generate a conversation/think tank for how to enact feminist publishing. I became the editorial director at the Feminist Press a year and half ago. (FP is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year; I have been editing books for independent publishers for over 20 years.) The Press had had a mission to publish books by women/for women. I felt such an idea of feminist publishing was outmoded, and have now changed the mission to something more about choice, gender equity, and social justice. You can read the new FP statement here.

With this new program, I have published a dozen books or so, and have another dozen in the works (and many more proposals to read!). I list a number of them below, with a shorthand to describe what they're about. This list should give the NPBIAC group a good idea of what kind of feminist publishing I'm doing.

My interest for the meeting would be for each person to come up with and present an idea for a new Feminist Press book. Not a general idea of what I should be publishing, but a specific idea that promotes a particular subject, author, title, or project.

Any book that I publish at FP needs to have a potentially wide readership (3,000 readers or more), so I can not publish artist books, monographs, or books that have a singularly contemporary art audience. That said, I am very open to ideas, and want to learn what young feminists want to read. FP books can be for scholarly discussion or for a popular audience (or both). What I hope is obvious from the list below is that I’m interested in books that challenge what we mean by gender, books that question issues of race and class in dominant culture, books for activists and thinkers and poets (but no poetry!). FP publishes fiction and nonfiction (including memoir, essays, biography, etc), and graphic books. Please also see the FP website.


This occasion is open to 20 participants and you need to RSVP to nobodyputsbabyinacorner2009@live.com to be able to join, please do so before March 31th at noon. 



Join us for another unforgettable evening!

Best,

NPBIAC/Johanna, Malin and Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment